Balancing motherhood with your own needs can be a challenge. Virtually every mom I meet puts her kids first without thinking twice. That’s understandable. But we all know that when you take care of yourself, you have more to give to those you love. A mommy makeover at our St. Louis plastic surgery center can be a great way to help you look, feel, and be your best.
For a successful makeover, you’ll want to choose only a board-certified plastic surgeon. Here are a few other considerations to keep in mind:
- Maintain your ideal weight before your procedure. You must understand that a mommy makeover is NOT a weight loss procedure. Instead, it is meant to help restore your body when diet and exercise fall short. The closer you are to your goal weight, the better your final results. Additionally, I recommend that my patients are at a stable weight. Constantly fluctuating weight can compromise your results.
- Customize your mommy makeover. Procedures can be individualized to fit your specific needs, so you can achieve your desired results. Typical mommy makeovers include a combination of body contouring procedures, such as liposuction, tummy tuck, labiaplasty, Brazilian butt lift, breast lift, or breast augmentation. These procedures can be performed together in one surgery or spread out over time, depending on your preference.
- Wait until after your last child. I usually advise my patients to wait until they are done having children to schedule the surgery. Pregnancy and breastfeeding can change your body dramatically, so having a child after a mommy makeover may affect your results. Also, you should wait at least 6 months after you have stopped breastfeeding to undergo your procedure. You need to give your body time to heal before scheduling a major surgery. Your breasts also need time to return to their normal size and shape.
- Have realistic expectations. This is important for any cosmetic procedure. Although having a positive outlook is important, you also must recognize that every surgery has its limitations.
- Understand that recovery will take some time. Yes, a mommy makeover is an elective surgery. However, that does not mean it is not a serious matter. This procedure requires a substantial recovery period, so it is essential to prepare ahead of time. You will need to take off several days from work and have around-the-clock help around the house initially. Make sure to read and follow all post-op instructions, and do not hesitate to call if you have any questions or concerns.
- Expect some scarring. As with any surgery, there will be some degree of scarring. However, choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon with years of experience will minimize this risk. After your procedure, try to be diligent with your scar care. Additionally, we offer treatments that can reduce the look of scarring.
To discuss your options, request a consultation online or call our office at (636) 223-5846.