For many women considering breast augmentation at our St. Louis, MO, practice, a major concern is whether they will achieve natural-looking results. This apprehension makes sense because plenty of women in the media and everyday life have very obvious implants.
Unnatural results usually occur for 1 of 2 reasons: either the breast augmentation was performed by an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon, or the patient herself wanted to achieve a very specific, “fake” look. Fortunately, you have options for getting the results you want.
What are the different implant shape options?
We offer two implant shape options:
- Teardrop implants, also called anatomical implants, have more volume at the bottom. Many women feel that these implants are shaped more like a natural breast.
- Round implants tend to provide more volume in the upper part of the breast, meaning more cleavage but also a less natural look.
Which implant texture feels more natural?
All breast implants have a silicone outer shell that contains a filler. The shell can be smooth or textured.
- Smooth implants can move around more freely in the breast pocket, which gives a look that many women believe is more natural.
- Textured implants conform to your natural breast tissue, securing it in place. This is especially important for teardrop implants, which need to stay oriented in an upright position.
Which implant filler material should I choose?
Today, 2 different fillers are available:
- Silicone implants are made of a cohesive gel material that feels similar to actual breast tissue. Many patients report that it is hard to tell the difference between silicone implants and natural breasts. These implants are currently the more popular choice for women who have little breast tissue to begin with or who desire larger implants.
- Saline implants use a sterile saline solution and are filled after being inserted, which means they can be inserted using smaller incisions. Though unlikely, if a saline implant ruptures, the solution is safely absorbed back into the body. Because they do not feel as natural, fewer women choose saline implants.
Incisions for both types of implants can be made in the fold beneath the breast, around the areola, or in the armpit. During consultation with your surgeon, you will discuss implant materials and insertion options. In the end, and with good scar care, the incisions will fade into scars that are barely noticeable.
What if I don’t know exactly what I want?
If you are at all unsure about your implant decisions, we offer a helpful tool called VECTRA® 3D Imaging. This innovative technology uses ultra-high-resolution 3D photos to provide you with a good idea of what you will look like after your procedure. You will be able to see how you look with different sizes and types of implants. Your actual results will be very close to the simulations created using VECTRA.
Remember, if you want to get natural results, moderation is important. It isn’t always about going big. Rather, it is better to get implants that are in proportion to your specific body type.
If you are ready to take the next steps, request a consultation online or call our office at (636) 530-6161.